RE: WG Last Call: Section on Internationalization, XML

Hello Yaron,

Many thanks for your answers.

At 14:40 98/01/22 -0800, Yaron Goland wrote:

> 2. As far as character sets go, XML requires that all XML parsers implement
> UTF8/16, DAV requires XML, therefore all implementers of DAV must support
> UTF8/16. Thus if someone wishes to build a DAV implementation and be sure it
> is compliant they have no option but to use either UTF8/16. Any other
> charset will be a roll of the dice. Thus we have achieved the very goal you
> seek.

There are two steps to achieve the goal. The first one is to write the spec
so that the goal is achievable. You have definitely done that. The second
one is to make sure that implementors understand what kind of implementations
will let them achieve the goal, and what others will not. The i18n section
could definitely be clearer on this.

> 3. We used those features of XML that we needed and we make compliance with
> the XML specification mandatory. We do not define a subset of XML, we just
> happen to only use a subset but that is because we only needed a subset.
> While I appreciate your concerns if someone implements a broken XML parser
> then they are not in compliance with the DAV protocol.
>
> 4. We are aware of the standards status of both namespaces and XML and are
> working closely with the W3C to resolve both issues.

Many thanks for these clarifications.

Sorry, in my case, it's not a spam filter, but the fact that I have moved.
I am changing my subscriptions to the various lists one-by-one, but keeping
an overview is not always easy.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,   Martin.