From: Jim Amsden [mailto:jamsden@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 1998 4:32 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org
Subject: RE: The 7 Deadly Sins of Versioning

>Is it necessary to handle versioning differently from language alternates?
>To put it another way, can we unify the problem to how we handle alternate
>resources for particular resource. Thus leaving the problem of
>interpretation of what the alternates mean and operating on them to the
>clients outside of WebDAV.

No, it's probably not necessary, but might still be a good idea. The notion
of
a version could indicate that something changed in the in the meaning of the
resource, its semantics. Variants might be different views of the same
meaning
for different audiences. With XML, the content and views are separate
allowing
each to change independently, either with versions of variants.