RE: ACL Draft

>Ok, but most of the Web-based access control mechanisms I've seen allow
the
>principal to be described or qualified by IP address or DNS name
patterns.
>If the intent is not to support that, I'd like to discuss that point in
>more detail.

Perhaps I'm missing something but how this is issue germane to the ACL
protocol? I can see how it would be relevant to the authentication
protocol but that isn't the topic at hand.

>So I'd claim that resolving conflicts between ACEs using specificity as
the
>dominant characteristic will not work unless the model is further
specified
>in such a way that specificity is always well-defined.  But I'd rather
see
>a model that assigns a controllable ordering or precedence to ACEs.
The
>Netscape model makes use of both syntactic ordering and a precedence
flag
>to resolve conflicts.  Granted rights and denied rights are specified
in
>separate ACEs, which is reasonable because conflicts are resolved in a
>uniform way.

Can you please provide an example where, using the conflict resolution
rules specified in the draft, an ambiguous result would occur?
Furthermore, using deny and allow lists is a simpler way to get the same
result as having deny-right and grant-right type rights. As such, your
counter proposal would appear to solve nothing as it does not increase
the expressive power of the system nor does it resolve conflicts.

>Maybe rights should be defined in a named "access rights profile",
which
>could be defined and registered for different types of resources.  We
could
>start with a profile for the generic rights.  Collecting the rights in
>profiles this way would enable the protocol to convey the list of
supported
>rights more efficiently by expressing it as a list of profiles.

I do not understand how this is any different from the current protocol
where rights already represent several different access options. For
example, the write right controls access to a number of methods. You
seem to be suggesting a feature that is already in the protocol.

>And yet again, the existence of generic and specific rights creates
another
>dimension in which conflicts can potentially occur between ACEs.

Again, if you could please provide an example where an ambiguous
situation would occur, I would appreciate it. It would be best if the
example were from a real world system so we can see how in real
implementations such conflicts would arise. This would provide a
compelling case for altering the protocol.

>I heartily endorse your terminology for what I was calling non-lazy and
>lazy inheritance.  However, I'm still concerned about the complications
>that can arise in supporting dynamic inheritance.  A fundamental
>requirement for access control policy is a certain clarity in its
>representation.  Lack of clarity ultimately can lead to lack of
security.
>Dynamic inheritance is a fairly large step away from clarity, in my
view.
>The same can be said of mechanisms for resolving ACE conflicts, when
these
>mechanisms are complex or vague.

Again, you make general assertions without providing any kind of
examples, generic or specific. How can I respond to general assertions
of discomfort without any sort of factual support? I appreciate your
concern about these issues but it is difficult to provide a cogent
response in the absence of facts. You declare that there is a "lack of
clarity" but you do not demonstrate this lack of clarity.

>That seems to imply that ACLs have some kind of "target" information,
which
>indicates whether they apply to properties of a resource, and if so, to
>which properties.  But that need only relate to the storage of ACLs on
the
>server.  In the protocol, it sounds like you intend that ACLs on
properties
>are independently addressable.

The need to record the ACLs of properties on the associated resource is
an artifact of the property based ACL mechanism. This requirement will
disappear in the next version of the draft when an ACL method is
introduced. However the goal is, as you identify, that ACLs on
properties be independently addressable from the ACL on the resource.
That way it is possible, for example, to provide read access to a
resource to everyone but reserve it on a particular property to a select
group.

>[Specifying an ACL as a property] sounds like a real enough concern,
but I don't think I understand it.
>Care to elaborate on how that could create a problem?

Sure, we are killing the ability to create value added extensions to
servers. For example, a company creates a bunch of extensions to some
HTTP server to support DAV properties. The company that created this
property extension will now be forced to also define the ACL extension
since we are using side effects from properties to define ACLs. So if
another company wanted to come along and provide an ACL extension it
couldn't do it because it would have to figure out how to hook into the
property extension the first company created. Now I admit that such a
scenario is wonderful for certain mega corporations (who shall remain
nameless =) who are more than happy to provide a "cradle to grave"
implementation of DAV. However it totally sucks for value added
companies who wish to be able to specialize in certain types of
functionality, say property management or access control, because they
will not be able to easily "drop in" support for their area. However, by
using methods, we make it easy for these companies to sell their
products since they only need to intercept a particular method.
In the specific case of ACLs, we are most likely preventing third party
property systems. The reason being that ACLs are integral to an
implementation and are likely to be provided by the same company that
provided the HTTP server. However by requiring that ACL functionality be
implemented through the property mechanism we de facto reserve the
ability to implement a property mechanism to the same company that
produced the server as only they will be able to properly hook in the
ACL support. Where as using a method base system means that while the
server provider will probably still have to provide ACL support, anyone
should be able to implement properties.
In a word, the reason using defined side effects of properties is bad is
"extensibility."

>Ok.  But can a compound principal describe an open set of principals in
>terms of attributes they may possess, or does it imply the existence of
>something like a user database, in which all of the principals
>corresponding to a compound principal can be enumerated?

The protocol has nothing to say on the topic. As such a principal could
represent ANYTHING, include a verifier program, a scripting language, a
structured data format, a database, anything that the underlying
authentication systems understand. A design principal which I think I
need to make much clearer in the draft is "It is the design assumption
of this ACL protocol that principal identifiers will be submitted to
some verifier in order to determine membership."

>That depends on how flexible you can be in defining compound
principals.
>For example, if a compound principal can be specified as "all Beatles
>except Ringo", you might find that you don't need both "grant" and
"deny".
>The Netscape model does have very flexible compound principal
>specifications, but I still advocated supporting both "allow" and
"deny",
>not because they were necessary to express particular kinds of
policies,
>but because I believe that they can contribute to the *clarity* of
>expressing certain policies.

O.k. I admit it, I'm totally lost. Weren't you arguing before that allow
and deny caused ambiguities and that is why you were against them? Now
you are arguing that you support them? HELP!!!!

>That goes against the grain of tradition in Web Servers, where no
access
>control meant no access control.  However, that originated in the days
when
>HTTP was read-only for the most part.  But it's no big deal either way,
>provided that a "universal principal" is defined, that is a reserved
>compound principal specification that refers to all principals, even
>principals who do not authenticate, e.g "anyone".  That way, it's easy
>attach an ACL that changes the default.

Huh??!?!?!?!?!?!? Section 9.1 defines the very principal identifier you
asked for!

>Ok, so rule 1 takes precedence over rule 2?  That's one way to do it:
>instead of ordering the ACEs, order the rules that resolve the
potential
>conflicts.  Been there.  Considered that.  Bleh!

Enough. It is clear to me that you wrote your responses as you read the
draft and did not bother to edit them once you finished. If you would
like to go back and edit your comments, adding facts that support your
views rather than just making assertions, I will be happy to respond.

			Yaron