RE: DTD for protocol-03?

I'm not really sure what you men by a "qualified GI", but I suspect your
question can be restated as: do you intend to produce a spec. which uses
the more standard SGML/XML type syntax for specifying the numerous XML
elements used in the spec.?  To date we haven't done this, not due to any
technical reasons, but more due to lack of knowledge of how to specify
elements using the SGML/XML format.  Given that this is the more standard
way of specifying those elements, I think it best if in a future release of
the protocol spec. we switch over to this format.

Given this, can you recommend a good source which explains the SGML/XML
specification mechanism?

- Jim