Re: RE: Collections

What kind of language ("MUST" or "SHOULD") most effectively promotes interoperability in this case?  Why use the protocol if you are going to ignore the object model?

    Del

John Turner writes:
> If the the whole hierarchy is not treated as a collection, you leave open
> the possibility of some user confusion.  The namespaces of the URLs and
the
> collections overlap, but are not identical.  For example, if you have
> collection /A you could have /A/B where B is an internal reference and
/A/C
> where C is not part of the collection, simply part of the URL space.
 This
> might be useful, but it will certainly be confusing.

My assumption has always been that any collection-like object in a DAV
server's namespace should be modeled using a WebDAV collection -- an
assumption so deeply ingrained none of the authors ever thought it was
worth writing down. (Bzzt! :-)

I agree a requirement should go into the specification stating that
collection-like objects SHOULD be WebDAV collections.  My question is
whether this should be a MUST or a SHOULD requirement.

I'm leaning towards SHOULD because there are cases where part of a server's
namespace is computed, and hence can be potentially infinite.  For example,
if a server has a part of its namespace which acts as input to a cgi script
(e.g., http://www.foo.org/finger-script/cgi-bin/user@host) what should
INDEX return for the /cgi-bin/ collection if there is a MUST requirement?

On the other hand, if it was a MUST requirement, there could be language
added which states that a server is not required to expose every member of
a collection where the membership depends on the current request.  Although
I'm unsure what the best way would be to express this, or whether this
causes more problems than it solves.

- Jim