RE: New Requirements Draft

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Yaron Goland wrote:

> I strongly object to 5.11.2, with or without a warning that we can not
> find a satisfactory solution.
>
> There is consensus that we wish to be able to lock multiple resources
> simultaneously, it just isn't clear if we can write up a satisfactory
> standard to meet this requirement.
>
> However there is not consensus on dealing with variants. Many folks,
> myself included, believe that this is out of scope for the group and
> should not be a goal.

I'm not happy with the title of 5.11.2, which reads "Language Variants".
The text is okay, as it is general. Although I think language variants
are very important, I do not think they can be dealt with in isolation
from other variants. The title should be changed to "Variants", and
laguage variants, together with other variants, should be mentionned
in the text as examples.

As for the requirement in general, I think the title of this group
is distributed authoring and *versioning*. Versions and variants
are intimately related. And variants are a significant component of
every serious web site, and a web authoring system that cannot
deal with them, or a protocol for such systems that cannot deal
with them, isn't much more than a toy system.

> > This document is intended to reflect the consensus of the WWW
> > Distributed Authoring and Versioning working group (WebDAV) as to the
> > functionality that needs to be standardized to support distributed
> > authoring and versioning on the Web.

Please note that this document only speaks about what we think is
needed, not what we agree we want to work on. I know quite some
people who seriously need support for variants. I guess those
people who work on the Microsoft web sites would easily qualify
(although I don't know them).

Regards,	Martin.