RE: Open Issues - Versioning

At 08:52 PM 2/7/97 PST, Yaron Goland wrote:
>1. Yes. This issue will be further explored in the context of
>distributed versioning, even though it occurs on centralized versioning
>systems.

OK

>2. These links all are defined in the specification, though I think
>predecessor got dropped on the editing floor. The NextVersion gives the
>successor relationship and TreeHandle provides the versioning tree
>identifier.

Just to double-check:  In the spec, a versioned resource does NOT have a
link to the TreeHandle.  Is this an oversight?

>3. That is authentication and is orthogonal to this specification.

Well, this is an area that I don't understand very well, but . . . I don't
think what I am talking about is authentication really.  It's not that I'm
trying to masquerade as somebody else.  It's just that I'm trying to check
in a resource that I never checked out, or that somebody else checked out.
Whatever lock tokens do for you in the context of locking, that's what I'm
looking for here.  If you need lock tokens, why don't you need checkout
tokens?  If you don't need checkout tokens, why do you need lock tokens?

>		Yaron

Name:			Judith A. Slein
E-Mail:			slein@wrc.xerox.com
Internal Phone:  	8*222-5169