Re: Open Requirements Issues

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Larry Masinter wrote:

> I think there will soon enough be a 'policy' statement from
> the IAB based on, but different from, the report of the IAB
> charset workshop, such that it is not necessary for WEBDAV
> to have an explicit policy on charsets.

Agreed!

> However, support for
> authoring multi-lingual documents, and documents with variants
> in multiple languages, and support for versioning thereof,
> could usefully be addressed in the WEBDAV requirements; however,
> I also think it will be difficult to get consensus on anything
> that is meaningful, because individual's perceptions of requirements
> in this area are widely varying.

I think it is one of the core tasks of producing a requirements
document to identify various perceptions and requirements and
see how and how much they vary.

There is definitely some degree of variation as to how much
support, e.g. for parallel documents in various languages, is
needed. But this is something that depends on the application,
and just because one web site doesn't need it doesn't mean
it's not very meaningful, or even crucial, for another site.

Before we try, we don't know.		Regards,	Martin.