locks and trust (Re: Rejected Requirements)

On Sat, 31 May 1997, Joel N. Weber II wrote:

> You implicitly trust me to write to your email inbox, right?  In fact,
> you trust every single person who has internet access.  And in
> most cases (except for spam), the mail you get is mail you want.
> Unless you get a *lot* of spam, only a small percentage of your mail is
> indeed spam.

Not exactly. we trust the developer of /bin/mail (or procmail, or whatever
MDA I use) to properly lock my mailbox and respect existing locks so that
my mailbox does not become corrupted by multiple incoming messages. It is
true that the locks are advisory, but we only trust the underlying
software to respect those locks. This is something quite outside the
control of "mailbox authors" (i.e., the pople sending the mail.)

> So trusting the people who have accounts at your site isn't really
> that big a leap of faith.

But that's not what we're doing.

---
Gregory Woodhouse
gjw@wnetc.com    /    http://www.wnetc.com/home.html
If you're going to reinvent the wheel, at least try to come
up with a better one.