Legacy authoring environments (was GET for Edit)

At 2:01 AM 9/4/96, Larry Masinter wrote:
>I don't think there are any legacy authoring environments that use PUT
>without also using a bunch of non-standard stuff around it.
>
>Larry

   As far as I can tell, Netscape Navigator gold just does a PUT as far as
I can tell. With a non-locking version server, this could be made to do the
"right thing" (eg create a new descendant, forking if necessary).  What I'm
worried about with a new content-type is that we would have a more-complex
implementation, not compatible with non-versioning "PUT"-style clients. I
guess the servers could implement 2 protocols, but is this the best way?

   -- David

David Durand                  dgd@cs.bu.edu | david@dynamicDiagrams.com
Boston University Computer Science          | Dynamic Diagrams
http://www.cs.bu.edu/students/grads/dgd/    | http://dynamicDiagrams.com/