Re: DOCTYPE troubles when behind firewalls

Bill Haneman wrote:

> Hi :
>
> I am having troubles with the BE tests when running from behind
> a firewall with the crimson parser...

What is the crimson parser, and which SVG viewer were you using?

> It seems that crimson does not understand the ID in many/all of the
> BE tests, which is
>
> ------------- Begin Included Message -------------
>
> <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 20000303 Stylable//EN" ^M
>   "http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/03/WD-SVG-20000303/DTD/svg-20000303-stylable.dtd">^
>
> ------------- End Included Message -------------
>
> In order to run behind a firewall I have to hack the doctype to
> something like
> <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 20000802//EN"
>   "http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-SVG-20000802/DTD/svg-20000802.dtd">

Since those are identical constructs but merely reference different
versions (on the same website, outside your firewall), it seems that your
SVG viewer has cached one but not the other.

> I thought you'd like to know... it would be nice if the DOCTYPE in the BE tests
> were one of those which crimson and xerces understood without trying to
> contact the w3c server, since it can be quite messy/tedious to set up the
> HTTP proxy for Java2...

Is there any documentation on which DTDs the crimson parser already knows
about?

The DOCTYPE for the test suite is in any case being updated to the latest
one, so hopefully you will not have the same problem in future.

--
Chris