Re: How best to indicate a Registry section in a Rec track document?

Thanks Jeffrey, for the in depth response. Comments inline preceded by [NM]:

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin@google.com>
Date: Tuesday, 7 November 2023 at 20:33
To: Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
Cc: "spec-prod@w3.org" <spec-prod@w3.org>
Subject: Re: How best to indicate a Registry section in a Rec track document?

I don't have strong opinions here, but some thoughts:
·         https://github.com/w3c/tr-design/issues/283 asked for some sample registry tables in tr-design. The fact that you've added CSS to support your registry is, I think, an indication that tr-design should have an opinion on what these sections look like.
[NM] +1
·         I think I agree that a REC's SotD should mention any included registries, since they're parts of the document that haven't been endorsed by the AC, that can be republished without the WG's involvement, that aren't covered by the patent policy<https://www.w3.org/2023/Process-20231103/#reg-pub>, etc. Probably any Patent Review Drafts<https://www.w3.org/2023/Process-20231103/#patent-review-drafts> should also mention the registries, because of the difference in patent policy. I'm less sure that any earlier stages need to call out the registries, since I don't think they'd get updated with any weaker change control than the rest of the document ... but it might still be a good idea to foreshadow the later stages' section about them.
[NM] As it happens we had already signposted the need for registries when the Call for Exclusions went out, but had not added the registry definitions or tables at that stage. I’m not sure if more detail will be needed when we transition to CR.
·         In the SotD, I think it'd be ideal to link to the particular registries inside the document. That implies that the spec's metadata should list registry IDs for the SotD to include ... which is a decent hook to trigger the inclusion of the registry boilerplate.
[NM] I’d rather the SOTD didn’t have to mention each specific registry, because that makes it more complex to add boilerplate text into that section; I think it should be enough to indicate that the report contains at least one registry table. This is in the context of a Rec track document specifically. I can see that in case other documents want to reference a registry table, it could be helpful for tooling later if each published registry table were uniquely identified.
·         The Process's discussion of "a registry section"<https://www.w3.org/2023/Process-20231103/#reg-pub> is in a sentence with a plural subject and a singular indirect object, so it's not clear whether the whole document gets one registry section or each registry gets its own section. But you're suggesting putting an individual registry into two different parts of the document, which doesn't follow either interpretation. :) But then, the "registry"<https://www.w3.org/2023/Process-20231103/#registries> is defined as having 3 components: the definition, the tables, and the referencing specifications, and clearly the referencing specifications aren't going to be inside the registry section. Also, the Process says "A ... registry section is purely documentational" but also "Defining a registry requires wide review and consensus", which isn't really compatible with the registry definition going into the registry section. So I think there's a Process bug here, and we should figure out the right thing to do and make the Process match that, rather than trying to conform exactly to the existing Process.
[NM] +1. At the moment it doesn’t seem to say anything about the update requirements for the Registry Definition itself. At the moment the wording “is purely documentational” seems to apply to the Registry Definition, and that feels wrong – why bother requiring specific rules about changing Registry Tables if the text that defines those rules can be changed without any process?
·         I'm nervous about putting the registry tables next to the part of the spec that calls them, because the change control is so different. Your "registry section" box could work as a way to identify that difference, and I agree that it makes the spec easier to use. Maybe we should have Respec and Bikeshed automatically include particular boilerplate next to registry tables that also calls out the difference in change control and links to the associated registry definition?
[NM] I’d be happy with that.
o    The tables and their definitions should cross-link to each other.
[NM] I agree, and already did that in https://github.com/w3c/dapt/pull/196

·         I think <figure> might be the right markup to surround registry tables?
·         I wouldn't put the registry section in an appendix, and I'd title it something like "Registry Definitions" rather than "Registry Section". This should roughly imitate the ways the IETF uses "IANA Considerations" sections to define their registries. https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8615.html#section-5 has a simple one.