Re: Feedback sought on reorganizing the list of W3C Technical Reports

The concept of 'families' sounds great to me. Two immediate comments:

- It would be great if a 'family' had its own stable W3C URI (with some reasonable resource returned when dereferencing it) and would not only appear as a structure within the web site. I always had problems when, in a references, a presentation, etc, people were asking me to give a reference to, say, RDF. Some of the groups published an 'overview' document on TR, others maintained a wiki page or a page on date space, etc; I think it would greatly help if a family was a real and systematic resource.

- I am not sure if we will be able to retain a strict hierarchy, ie, that a specific TR would belong to a single family. (I am not sure that was your intention, but that is how the table seems to be structured). There are overlaps: just from my own practice we have the DPUB-ARIA work that is as much a publishing document as an ARIA one, we have overlaps between web annotations and some publishing work again, etc. There may be a "primary" family, mostly due to the WG that develops it, but there should be links to other families, too.

Thanks!

Ivan

P.S. I presume the details of the tables are not really relevant now (I have found some categorization errors), that type of cleanup will be for later...

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +33 6 52 46 00 43