From: "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotype.com>
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 11:54 AM
To: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: "lwatson@tetralogical.com" <lwatson@tetralogical.com>, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>, Denis Ah-Kang <denis@w3.org>, Spec-prod <spec-prod@w3.org>, "chairs@w3.org" <chairs@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Neutral language in W3C specifications

Quoting from both references Janina provided:
1) “A person who dictates how people should write or speak is called a prescriptivist or a prescriptive grammarian.”
2) “prescriptive grammar, is the attempt to establish rules defining preferred or "correct" use<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage> of language. … <snip, read the whole 1st paragraph> … They may also include judgments on socially proper and politically correct language use.”

Does the effort to neutralize the W3C specification language make us all “prescriptive grammarians”?
I have no doubt that the diversity of the participation in creating the W3C specifications is very valuable, but the specs themselves, as the final product of these efforts, should first and foremost serve the target audience (i.e. the implementers) and should be clear, easy to read, and as unambiguous as possible.

Vladimir