From: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 9:54 AM
To: Denis Ah-Kang <denis@w3.org>
Cc: "lwatson@tetralogical.com" <lwatson@tetralogical.com>, Spec-prod <spec-prod@w3.org>, "chairs@w3.org" <chairs@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Neutral language in W3C specifications

External email: Use caution opening links or attachments

On Jul 22, 2020, at 4:03 AM, Denis Ah-Kang <denis@w3.org<mailto:denis@w3.org>> wrote:

Hi Leonie,

Thank you for your feedback. Sure, we can also add these
pronouns to the list of terms to detect.
Do you have a preference or suggestion as to what our guidance
to the editors should be in those cases?

Use case documents are often written with stories that describe specific people (e.g., Sally, John, etc.) (see [1], for example). In generally, I think it’s good that stories can relate to individuals, but in these cases removing personal pronouns, or always using a neutral “they” might interfere with the flow of the narative. Has this been considered as part of the style guide? Is there any specific advice on writing use cases documents in a gender-neutral way?

Gregg

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/vc-use-cases/

Denis