Re: About RawGit, and possible replacements

Tab,
Is there a way to use GH Pages on more than one branch? We have some repositories where we are working on more than one version. As far as I'm aware GH Pages can't solve that problem although I would love to be proven wrong.

Regards,
James

James Nurthen  |  Accessibility Engineer  |  Adobe  |  p. 415.832.2734  |  c. 415.987.1918  |  nurthen@adobe.com

On 12/11/18, 3:36 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

    On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 7:48 AM Antonio Olmo Titos <antonio@w3.org> wrote:
    > as you may know, the free online service RawGit is
    > discontinued, and will stop working for all URLs next year [1].
    > This was used by some groups to serve the drafts,
    > documents and other assets that they were hosting on
    > different repositories and branches on GitHub.
    >
    > A few replacements have emerged lately, like
    > HTML Preview [2], raw.githack.com [3] and Staticaly [4].
    > They offer different features and levels of service.
    >
    > Among these, the Systems Team for now recommend
    > Staticaly -- with the warning that it's just a suggestion that
    > comes with no support or guarantee from us, as it is a
    > third-party service that we do not control.
    >
    > We have reflected this on our documentation about GH
    > usage and best practices [5].
    >
    > Talk to us (or, even better, submit an issue or a pull
    > request) if you have questions, comments or ideas to
    > contribute.

    There's no reason to use any of these; they predate the introduction
    and subsequent ease-of-use improvements of the GitHub Pages service
    (aka what you get served when you visit
    https://username.github.io/reponame/).

    Just set up your GH-Pages as desired (you can either serve the
    gh-pages branch, or the master branch, or the /docs folder of the
    master branch) and use that to serve things. Using rawgit and related
    services has been an antipattern for years. Please don't recommend any
    of these, and change your recommendations to just set up GitHub Pages.

    ~TJ