Re: [Restyle] Auto hyphenation can make the spec ambiguous

On 02/14/2018 06:45 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> On February 14, 2018 at 11:07:33 AM, fantasai
> (fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net) wrote:
>> On 02/12/2018 07:16 PM, Chris Lilley wrote:
>>> A bug was raised against a CSS specification, because it seemed as if a hyphen was allowed
>> in a keyword ("open-type" as well
>>> as "opentype").
>>>
>>> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2307
>>>
>>> It turned out not to be a bug in the grammar but to be introduced by the styling. Furthermore,
>> that bug is in base.css and
>>> thus affects all W3C specs, not just CSS WG ones.
>>>
>>> The rule in question is
>>>
>>> body { hyphens: auto}
>>>
>>> Hyphenation is fine in general, but not when it alters the technical content of a specification.
>>
>> Code should be wrapped in . Then you would not run into such problems. :)
>
> ***
> The following might be ReSpec's additional styles maybe screwing up -
> I've not investigated yet! Nevertheless, wanted to highlight a few
> things I've seen that relate to this, that perhaps we can fix in
> base.css.
> ***
>
> I've encountered two similar problems, which can be seen in [1]:
>
> When code (specially IDL) is too long, it can overflow and get hidden.
> This is not great, because it can lead to situations where it looks
> like the interface defines an "optional SecureContext" (yikes, thats
> both invalid and bad!), as seen in [1].

The base.css styles indicate 'overflow: auto', so if there is overflow
it should be showing scrollbars making it obvious that there's more to
see.

> And two, also shown in the second screenshot of [1], instead of
> hyphenation, words wrapped in `code` also get broken broken up in two
> (thankfully with no hyphen! but still not great either).

Afaict, the base.css styles don't make any changes to breaking behavior:
<pre> is unbreakable (uses 'white-space: pre' per UA default stylesheet)
and <code> has no special breaking rules, meaning it'll break like
regular text.

>> We can turn off hyphenation on W3C specs altogether if you prefer, though.
>
> Might be a good idea, just to be safe.

Done. Will be pushed to /TR with the next update... not sure how that works though.

~fantasai