rel=canonical in specs

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 11:54:47 +0100
To: spec-prod <spec-prod@w3.org>
Hi,

A few months ago, I brought a patch to respec to make it document as a
link rel=canonical [1] the latest version of a given document:
  https://github.com/w3c/respec/pull/938
(with the goal of having search engines return the "preferred" version
of a given spec)

The respec patch makes it configurable what URI to use as a latest
version, with a default to TR/foo - default that might need to be
revisited in light of Denis' proposals [2].

I'm looking for feedback on whether to push that approach more broadly,
which would entail first to add such a mechanism to other editing tools
(I would in particular be happy to look at providing a patch for
bikeshed), and maybe longer term make this part of the pubrules
requirements.

I have also separately started investigating how we could annotate our
huge set of existing TR documents with a rel=canonical - but it's likely
that if we come up with a system to do so, it would be more cost
effective for future documents to document it themselves.

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks,

Dom

1. https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066
2. https://w3c.github.io/tr-links/versioning/