[Echidna] New feature: dry run

From: Antonio Olmo Titos <antonio@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 17:06:27 +0200
To: Spec-prod <spec-prod@w3.org>
Cc: Denis <denis@w3.org>
Hello,

we just deployed Echidna v1.12.0 [1] in production [2].

Apart from other improvements and fixes [3][4], we wanted to call your attention
to a new feature that we hope you will find useful: dry runs [5].

If the new optional parameter “dry-run” is set to “true” (case-insensitive string),
the document will *not* published, and *no* e-mail notification will be sent to
public-tr-notifications. All other usual steps prior to actual publication are
taken, though (the document is retrieved, the user authenticated, metadata
extracted, and Specberus rules applied); errors and warnings may occur normally:

     $ curl 'https://labs.w3.org/echidna/api/request' -d 'dry-run=true' ...

Right now, the only way to check the results of a dry run of Echidna is via the
“status” method of the API [6]:

     $ GET https://labs.w3.org/echidna/api/status?id=<JOB-ID>

Wiki page [7] updated with this info.

We are thinking of letting users pass to Echidna an e-mail address to receive
the results; that may be ready soon. We think the combination of these two
features will help you detect errors on specs sooner and with less overhead.

[1] https://github.com/w3c/echidna/releases/tag/v1.12.0
[2] https://labs.w3.org/echidna/
[3] https://github.com/w3c/echidna/pull/428
[4] https://github.com/w3c/echidna/pull/430