Re: Deprecating the old pubrules on Aug 1st, 2016

On 06/02/2016 11:22 AM, Shane McCarron wrote:
> I do have a concern about HTML5 extension specifications as well as with
> bits  of HTML5 that are in WhatWG specs but NOT in W3C specs.
>
> Does the validator have a mode that only permits W3C-approved HTML5?

The first concern here is: we want to make sure that the community at
large can read the document.

So, it's not ok to use extensions or markup that are not widely
supported, since it impacts the readers. The validator helps us in that.
We also favor using markup from Recommendation rather than Working
Drafts but again, that's first a readability issue for us. We authorized
the use of HTML5 before it became a recommendation for example (ie it
wasn't "W3C-approved" yet). If your recommendation has some obscure
implementations and readers won't be able to read your specification,
then our advise is for you to use fallbacks as well (see MathML for
example).

If I remember correctly, the validator does have a W3C profile for HTML5.

Philippe