Re: Definitions, references, and tooltips

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 6:18 AM, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com> wrote:
> I realized this thread got sort of off topic.  What I was really trying to
> determine was if anyone wanted ReSpec to continue to leave the 'title'
> attribute on dfn elements.  Here is what I have decided:
>
> For legacy purposes, title will continue to work as it always has in ReSpec.
> It influences the way that the definition is referenced, and is left in
> place to act as a tooltip.
>
> ReSpec will also support data-dfn-title (or whatever Bikeshed actually uses)
> as a way of naming the way the definition can be referenced.  This will
> support the Bikeshed syntax that includes 'aliases' for the definition.

Bikeshed just uses "title".  It also has a "local-title" attribute in
its source format (translated to "data-local-title" in its output)
which gives "local" linking text which is only usable from within the
spec, and is never exported into the autolinking database.  (This is
used when you want to use a short term to ref something, but it's too
generic for general use, so you don't want to pollute the linking
database.)

> I will also add support for the related data-dfn attributes to ReSpec so
> that you can scope your terms, mark them for export or not, and have local
> aliases.

Cool.

~TJ