Re: [restyle] Questionnaire wrt Redesign of the W3C Spec Templates

I think my top request would be to make on-line reading the norm and a printed version works/exists, but is secondary.  At the moment, I would say we’re styled more for printing than online reading.

For a spec. of any size, I think we could do much better at providing (automatically) navigation help etc.  Perhaps that includes the multi-page/one-page choices.  For me it also includes (a) knowing where anchors are, so I can point at them from the outside (if they are not part of the index, it’s not evident they are there).

Something that is probably more than ReSpec and is surely more than styling would be to make it much easier to know where concepts are used — ‘backlinks’ (this anchor is referred to from X, Y, Z), and so on.

On Oct 10, 2014, at 22:07 , fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> We're looking into redesigning the W3C spec templates and style sheets
> to reduce boilerplate content and improve usability and readability.
> To help guide this project, we wanted to collect some information from
> all the W3C WGs!
>
> So please forward this to your WGs; answers are welcome from WGs as a
> whole and/or individual members, or some combination thereof, however
> your group prefers to answer. Send them to spec-prod@w3.org [public].
>
>  1. Give me 3-5 adjectives for how the visual design of
>     a W3C spec should "feel".
>
>  2. List the URLs to 3 specs that are representative of
>     your WG's output (especially wrt markup and structure
>     of the content).
>
>  3. Do you have any documentation of your markup conventions?
>     Please paste URLs:
>
>  4. What spec processing tools does your WG actively use?
>
>  5. What are your goals for the redesign?
>
>  6. Is there anything else we should know / consider?
>

> Note: This project is going to be a consensus-driven experiment, so
> feedback will be welcome throughout. However, it is also a spare-time
> project, so progress might be a bit slow and sporadic. :)
>
> More information at https://www.w3.org/wiki/SpecProd/Restyle
>
> Thanks~
> ~fantasai

David Singer