Re: Informative components of w3c specifications

Hi Shane,

On 2014-07-02 11:52 AM, Shane McCarron wrote:
> My question that started this thread was not really about sections so
> much as things that are NOT sections (e.g., notes). ...

Notes are virtually sections as far as ReSpec is concerned.  ReSpec is
taking a <p> with @class=note", wrapping it in a <div> and adding
another <div> that has a @role="heading" with text "NOTE".  While there
is no actual <section> element, each note is a division with its label
defined by the heading "NOTE".  (Aside:  the notes in the core-aam all
begin "Note:" duplicating the heading text.  I'll be removing the
"Note:" prefix text as it's redundant under respec.)

>   In the case of a note there is rarely a header other than "NOTE".
>  On a note are you okay with embedding a role and label?

I'm okay with adding a @role="note".  Adding an explicit label is
optional for the note role.  According to the spec.  Role "note" does
note *require* an accessible name.

Also, note (pun sort-of intended) that there are proposed aria
attributes "annotation-type/annotated-by" that provide more information
about a note along the line of what kind it is and what text it is a
note for.  I would prefer to see the dust settle in that regard before
saying much about note labels.  IMHO, the type of annotation and an
explicit relationship between the note and what it annotates is more useful.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -