Re: Some thoughts on a new publication approach

Hi Richard,

On 29/10/2013 17:57 , Richard Ishida wrote:
> I guess that, at the very least, I'd want editors to make regular
> hearbeat snapshots, that we could latch onto. (It's *much* more
> effective, btw, for the i18n group to review specs *before* they reach LC.)

Actually, thinking about this a little bit I think that what would
actually be most useful would be if *you* were able to make arbitrary
snapshots. Of course, ideally the editor would be looped in on your plan
to review and all, but sometimes people can be unresponsive. If you can
just go ahead and make a snapshot, which your group can review, then
that 1) removes the editor from the critical path and 2) is one fewer
thing for the editor to have to care about (I'd like to reach a point
where editors only need to care about content and technical feedback).

> If, however, there is some way to view all commits in a way that is
> easily discoverable, and permanently addressable with a easy to obtain
> URL, we may actually be able to do away with the need for heartbeat
> snapshots, and provide much more useful granularity for picking a review
> target or finding deleted text.
>
> We'd certainly need an easy to locate list of commits for a given spec,
> in chronological order, with links that produce files with the proper
> Content-Type header and associated files. We get this out of the box
> with CVS or with wikis: would it be difficult with github?
>
> (Hoping i'm making some sense)

I think you're making sense. I think that (assuming this all works out)
you won't get all the bells and whistles you're asking for as part of
the first version but you will get at least what I understand are the
most important bits. And then we can progressively add more, to make
things like navigating history easier.

At any rate, I've added your considerations to my list of requirements.