W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > spec-prod@w3.org > July to September 2013

Re: ReSpec and https

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:14:25 -0700
Message-ID: <CAHBU6itnj5Spjf3Ttd6=q6WHqvpWWWT0gsWKC059Jc+QR06CTg@mail.gmail.com>
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Cc: shane@aptest.com, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, "Tab Atkins, Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "spec-prod@w3.org Prod" <spec-prod@w3.org>, Dom Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
And anyhow, couldn't you have respec generate relative URIs starting with //
w3.org/...?  That way they get whichever of http: or https: the original
page was fetched with.  -T


On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:

>
> On Aug 14, 2013, at 11:30 AM, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:
>
> > Because on the Web everything should be private by default:
> https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2012/12/02/HTTPS
>
> We should make a considered decision whether we want w3.org to be private
> by default or not. That's a good discussion to have,
> but for the moment, I don't see a good reason to make one or two highly
> public resources private by default.
>
> >
> > https: is the correct default choice.  Have you measured the performance
> impact recently?  It’s generally insignificant compared to all other things
> that slow down the Web experience.  -T
>
> Thanks for the point to your blog post, Tim!
>
> Ian
>
> >
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 14, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Shane McCarron <ahby@aptest.com> wrote:
> >
> > > You are correct.  Pub rules. I will file a bug with them and just hand
> edit it out in the meantime.
> >
> > I disagree this is a pubrules bug. Why use https URIs to refer to these
> images from TR drafts served over http?
> > Using https URIs has a performance impact both for the server and on the
> client.
> >
> > Dom mentioned to me that editors drafts could be handled differently
> than TR-ready drafts, and that respec might
> > be improved to generate http uris when the document is ready for
> publication. Pubrules currently does not have
> > an editor's draft filter.
> >
> > Ian
> >
> >
> > >
> > > On Aug 14, 2013 10:30 AM, "Robin Berjon" <robin@w3.org> wrote:
> > > On 14/08/2013 17:04 , Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> > > On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Shane McCarron <ahby@aptest.com>
> wrote:
> > > I noticed today that ReSpec generates https:// for the W3C logo and
> > > stylesheet.  Is there a reason for this?  The W3C validator complains
> about
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Likely so you don't get mixed content warnings when viewing things on
> > > https pages (like the dvcs repo).
> > >
> > > Precisely. We tried the option of being smart based on where the draft
> was generated, but generated drafts get moved around and things break. We
> tried using // instead but too many people do things like checking drafts
> from the local file system and got confused (or even just an unpleasant
> experience).
> > >
> > > I doubt the W3C validator complains about this; I presume Shane meant
> pubrules. That's a bug in pubrules :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/ - @robinberjon
> >
> > --
> > Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>      http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
> > Tel:                                          +1 718 260 9447
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> --
> Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>      http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
> Tel:                                          +1 718 260 9447
>
>
>
>
>
Received on Wednesday, 14 August 2013 17:14:54 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:55:19 UTC