Re: Feeling stupid about references

From: Tobie Langel <tobie@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 20:18:09 +0200
To: shane@aptest.com
Cc: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>, "spec-prod@w3.org Prod" <spec-prod@w3.org>
On Friday, June 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Shane McCarron wrote:
> So... here is my suggestion. Obviously continue to permit local entries. Careful, smart people will be able to get those right. But also enable a way to tell the automated extraction system that the source of a new version is temporariliy *over here* - not yet in TR space.
That would imply having access to the code that extracts meta data out of the specs based on pubrules. Unfortunately, we don't. So whatever algorithm we come up with to do the same risks creating the dame same subtle difference you were worried about.

I'm not sure I understand precisely what your requirements are. It seems you want a discrepancy-free environment (we all do), but I was wondering if there were areas where you'd be more willing to be a tad more lenient than others (e.g. it's OK if the ref changes slightly after a spec is published).

Thanks,

--tobie