Re: ReSpec and Events

Hi Doug,

On Jan 27, 2011, at 08:47 , Doug Schepers wrote:
> I've been using ReSpec for the Touch Interface spec [1], and I wondered if perhaps there could be some specific formatting and styling for events.
>
> In DOM3 Events, we make a little table for all the relevant properties, and it would be nice to have a consistent convention for other specs that use events.  A fairly involved event type is 'wheel', for example, since it inherits from MouseEvent:UIEvent:Event, giving it a lengthy set of characteristics. [2]
>
> What would you think of adding something like this?  Should I look into doing it myself?

I think it's a great idea. In fact, if you go digging in ReSpec ancient (Perl) history [0] you will find that it used to support this very feature. I've always meant to bring it over to JS but since I haven't had my hands in an event-defining spec in a long while, it hasn't happened yet.

At this point I have a hard deadline to meet and I'm limiting my ReSpec patches to those that directly support producing the document I'm working on, but I'd certainly be more than happy to assist you with questions that you may have.

The first decision to make is whether all you need is a bunch of CSS that match some conventions, in which case all you'll need is to add that to respec.css (you might even be able to lift from the old one: http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/ReSpec/lib/ReSpec/CSS/respec-w3c.css :) and document it in documentation.html. If you need more, like having some simple markup be expanded to something more comprehensive you'll need to hit some JS and we should probably talk syntax a little bit to make sure everyone's happy.

If you're feeling adventurous you might wish to make these changes directly in v2. If not, we can port it later.

[0] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/ReSpec/lib/ReSpec/

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/