RE: Review of the Reformatted Recommendations (was Re: New W3C Web Site Launched)

+1

speaking for myself only.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Industry Standards
IBM Software Group, Standards Strategy
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/chrisferris
phone: +1 508 234 2986

From:
Michael Champion <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com>
To:
Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>, Christopher B Ferris/Waltham/IBM@IBMUS,
"spec-prod@w3.org" <spec-prod@w3.org>
Cc:
"chairs@w3.org" <chairs@w3.org>, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, W3C Members
<w3c-ac-members@w3.org>, Michael Rys <mrys@microsoft.com>
Date:
10/15/2009 12:17 PM
RE: Review of the Reformatted Recommendations (was Re: New W3C Web  Site
Launched)
Sent by:
chairs-request@w3.org

I agree with Robin and Jim that there wasn't enough consultation with WGs
before their publications were reformatted.  I'd suggest immediately
rolling back the changes to the *specs'* formatting (not the overall
website -- there are issues, but I will follow Ian's advice to be
patient).   Then, follow a process such as Robin suggests to work through
the issues and let WGs opt-in -- or at least opt out-- of the new CSS. If
you need guinea pigs, use submissions, Recommendations without active WGs,
etc., but leave active WGs in control of both the form and content of
their specs.

I personally like the new look of the documents and believe that most WGs
will eventually opt-in, but the team really needs to respect the consensus
process and the principle that the WGs own the specs they produce.