FW: I18N Activity modifications to xmlspec dtd

Karl,

The mail below points to some extensions added to XMLSpec by GEO (see the
tables in particular). Some parts (especially the structural elements
section) may be slightly out of date now, but others contain some basic i18n
requirements.

Notes:

[1] I would prefer to replace the bdo element with two values for the dir
attribute (rlo and lro), a la XHTML 2.0

[2] the rearrangement of the tags related to images was done to prevent
'alt' text being an attribute value - we should always try to avoid using
natural/translatable text in attributes for i18n reasons

[3] I didn't follow the logic in [3] when defining my abbr tag - the
@expansion attribute would be better as an embedded element, so that the
expanded version of the abbreviation/acronym can be tagged with bidi markup,
language etc.

The latest version of the DTD we use is at
http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/xmlspec-tech.dtd

The latest XSLT stylesheet we use (that imports and overwrites parts of a
canonical version) is at
http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/xmlspec-tech.xsl  This outputs
XHTML 1.0, in utf-8, but does produce some spurious xmlns attributes that we
need to clean up later using a script. We also have to ensure that XHTML
Appendix C rules are applied properly using scripts.

See also
http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/documentation/documentation-dt
d-pentities.html (may be slightly out of date).

Hope that helps,
RI

Richard Ishida
W3C