Re: Semantic change in example code

Hello Jean-Bernard,

> On 5 Feb 2021, at 21:44 , Jean-Bernard Pellerin <jeanbern@ualberta.ca> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> In example 6 under 4.13.2 Bread crumb navigation, an unordered list is used. Since the elements have a hierarchical order should this be an ordered list to be semantically correct?
>
> https://www.w3.org/TR/html52/common-idioms-without-dedicated-elements.html#example-9c7d0afd

I suppose you’re right but it can be argued that the hierarchy order depends on the viewer’s interest unless the navigation is for something that is sequential (e.g., steps 1 through several). So long as you wrap your elements within <nav> you can use either and even other elements.

cf. https://www.w3.org/TR/html/#rel-up

I didn’t find any documentation in W3C space for that choice (it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, just that I didn’t find it) but I found that exact question asked in Stack Overflow:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1775200/why-we-always-use-ul-to-make-navigation-why-not-ol

Coralie

--
Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Marketing & Communications -  https://www.w3.org