Certain redirects in WCAG guidelines can trigger migraines, probably seizures

From: Marja Erwin <erwinm@alumni.beloit.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 14:48:01 -0400
To: site-comments@w3.org
Hi,

I have a low-frequency strobe sensitivity and a visual motion
sensitivity. I often get severe migraines, partial blindness, and nausea
when using the web and was trying to check on your accessibility
standards to see if they permit some of the elements. Checking the
instructions here:

https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#general-thresholddef

Clicking on "How to meet 2.2.2"

I was pain-directed to here:

https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/quickref/?versions=2.0#qr-time-limits-pause

A number of problems, from most severe to least:

1. The page quickly flashed as it animated scrolling to that guideline.
I can't count flashes per second, so it's more than 3, probably more
than 10. So it is likely to be a seizure trigger.

2. The page animated scrolling to that guideline. For me, animated
scrolling is a major migraine trigger.

3. The left sidebar and the top bar do not scroll with the rest of the
page. For me, the sheer effect from such broken scrolling is a minor but
more frequent migraine trigger.

If your standards permit this, they need revision.

Marja Erwin