Re: What is the license for W3C Community material?

> On Mar 18, 2016, at 10:29 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> At https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-241
> the Apache Software Foundation is
> trying to figure out what is the license for an ontology
> downloaded from
> http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/
>
> which says:
>
>> Copyright © 2012-2013 the Contributors to the Open Annotation Core Data Model Specification, published by the Open Annotation Community Group under the W3C Community Contributor License Agreement (CLA). A human-readable summary is available.
>

> However the CLA does not read like a license to readers, but as a CLA
> for contributors. Particularly it is very confusing who is "You" and
> who the license is granted to (the readers? w3c? Other community
> members)

Hi Stian,

Contributors under the CLA [1] grant copyrights described in 2.1 and patent
commitments described in 3 and 12.4. “You” means anyone who wants to
exercise the rights granted.

> Are the discussions from
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-241 considered somewhat
> correct? In that as long as the material is at least 45 days old, then
> it is safe for Apache Software Foundation to use files like
> https://www.w3.org/ns/oa/oa.rdf under a BSD-like license?

Yes (derivative works ok, with attribution).

Let me know if that’s enough to answer the question,

Ian

[1] https://www.w3.org/community/about/agreements/cla/

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447