Re: fixing real problems that people encounter?

I think Jonathan makes an important point, though I can imagine an
uncomfortable one for organisations such as W3C.

Many community orgs are in a very unequal position when it comes to
participation in endeavors such as these. Big enterprise or even smaller
companies allocating human resources (not to mention other expenses) in
some of these projects, committees, etc., can practically write it off as
a charitable contribution or, at the very least, fit it in development,
communications or networking strategies, etc. Academia may have felt a
definite pinch in recent times but are still able to contribute to
projects such as those promoted at W3C and apply it directly to their own
work. Even open source development alluded to, while based mostly on a
voluntary participation model, is usually not based on an selfless model.
Most players I know in this field are investing in individual or corporate
goals (and to be clear, I am, not saying there is something wrong with
that).

A majority of community orgs however are at a particular disadvantage
because their resources are so much more limited and their model is an
altruistic one. They do not have the infrastructure of most others
participating in these processes (processes that are far from easy or time
saving), the microsofts and Googles and government agencies, and
universities, etc. Even when community orgs manage to scramble together
the scarce resources necessary to commit part-time to these issues, they
are not equal partners in these processes.

This is not a new problem. And WAI is not immune. It is much more
complicated than just believing "if you build it, they will come".

--
Catherine Roy
http://www.catherine-roy.net