Re: Change of W3C website to HTML5?

On 26 May 2010, at 11:28 AM, FinanzNachrichten.de, Markus Meister wrote:

> Dear Ian,
>
> HTML5 is in all the media at the moment.
> Good work, it's great to have such a wide media coverage!
>
> Apart from a very big xxx website using mainly flash videos, there
> have not
> been any announcements that somebody intends to 'update' to HTML5.
> According to statistics, around half of the browsers used currently
> cannot
> show videos. Mainly old browsers and IE browsers are incompatible.
>
> Here the idea:
> How about changing the W3C website from XHTML 1.0 to HTML5 to
> present the
> possibilities of this innovation?
>
> If W3C would make such a step and would show a video on the homepage
> those who have a 'modern' browser), it would also put some pressure
> on MS to
> speed up with an update to make their browsers compatible.
>
> If I do understand correctly, all browsers can already show the other
> elements of HTML5 (apart from videos). So the website would still be
> accessible for everybody.

Hi Markus,

I've been the person spearheading the site redesign effort. With the
arrival of our new CEO, we have a certain number of high-priority
tasks we are working on, and I have not heard "move the site to HTML5"
as one of them. Thus, I can't make that a high priority right now. We
would need to adjust tooling and so forth and unfortunately I can't
spare the cycles right now.

  _ Ian