Re: Definitions: Service and Web Service

On 22 Jun 2010, at 11:15 AM, Dunn, Robert wrote:

> Ian,
>
> 	Thanks for the extremely quick response.
>
> 	The context for wanting W3C's definition of a service and a web
> service is from an architecture viewpoint.  Firstly, I need to be
> able to quantify whether the architecture describes services or web
> services (or if both, which is which).  Secondly, it's rather
> difficult to convince folks that a particular architecture describes
> web services if the only definition for a service or web service
> says something like "... is implemented using WSDL."  Finally, when
> somebody asks what is a service or web service (within the viewpoint
> of W3C) I need to be able to provide your definition.
>
> 	A more flippant response is: if I say "I'll Roshambo you for it" I
> expect you will want to know if I'm using Eric Cartman's definition.
>
> 	Common definitions provide for common expectations.

Hi Robert,

W3C did publish this Web Services Architecture Note in 2004, but I
don't now how relevant it is today:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-arch-20040211/

There was a definition therein:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-arch-20040211/#service

  "A service is an abstract resource that represents a capability of
performing tasks that represents a coherent functionality from the
point of view of provider entities and requester entities. To be used,
a service must be realized by a concrete provider agent."

Views may have changed in 6 years, but we don't have an active effort
to update this document.

  _ Ian