Re: [Moderator Action] "Web Compliant'

On 6 Apr 2009, at 4:26 AM, W. Richard Evans wrote:

> I am starting to learn programming after being out of programming
> for more than twenty years.  I have been reading over and over the
> phrase 'web compliant'.  This site does not directly state the words
> web compliance.  Why doesn't w3c.org have a section stating web
> compliance specifications so new commers and others know exactly
> what is the focus.  Many experienced web programmers have not been
> able to explain web compliance.  Is this like the word GREEN?

Yes, somewhat.

Finding agreement on what defines "the Web" is not obvious.

There are a number of technologies (not all from W3C) that Web
designers frequently use: html, css, javascript, various image formats.
Where there are standards for a technology, those standards are likely
to define "conformance." So you should be able to find what it means
to conform to set of specifications. But general "Web compliance" does
not sound meaningful.

  _ Ian