Re: new-site comments - wasted space at top

Ian Jacobs wrote:

> At very narrow widths, the top navigation menus stack, which increases
> the height of the top section.

Could some of the vertical space around the "STANDARDS," "PARTICIPATE,"
etc., links be moved from the boxes within the line that wraps to a box
outside that line?

That would reduce the increment of vertical space taken when that line
of links is wrapped.

(That is, if you change which box has the space, the extra space taken
when the line is wrapped could be reduced without changing the amount
of vertical space seen in wider browser windows.

(Of course, I'd also prefer a little less vertical space to start with,
but that would at least reduce the additional space taken.)

> I can look into reducing the space a bit, but one of the goals of the
> design
> was that the top of the page be "airy."

Please try to make sure the goal of usability is kept paramount.

Yes, certainly some degree of airiness (whitespace) is necessary for easy
usability (visual scannability), but too much hurts usability in a
concrete way:  When less content fits, the user has to scroll around more.

> I appreciate the comments and welcome additional suggestions (and proposed
> solutions!).

You're welcome.

Daniel
--
(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.) [F]