Re: Fwd: W3C's four domains are not clearly defined.

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 22:59 -0500, Simon Cockayne wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I notice that the division of the W3C into its four domains is not
> made from the w3c.org website.

Correct. The primary reason is that the domain structure is largely
an internal management struture and therefore is not widely reflected
on the public Web site (though there are public pages for each domain;
they are just not widely used so we do not emphasize them).

> The clarification and the definition of the relationship between
> domains and goals would be a boon.
>

> *** http://www.w3.org/WAI/about.html states:
>
>    "WAI is one of four Domains within the W3C".
>
>    But there is no suggestion of what the other three domains are...or
> any link to such a definition.
>
>    Perhaps "Domains" could be a hyper link to definition of the
> domains?

I would rather not do this for the other domains, in fact. WAI has
established its own brand; the other domains have not, nor is it our
current intention to make them more recognizable brands.

> *** http://www.w3.org/Consortium/mission states:
>
>    "W3C has these long-term goals for creating one World Wide Web:
>
>       Web for Everyone
>       Web on Everything
>       Knowledge Base
>       Trust and Confidence"
>    Yet, there is no clear indication of how these goals link to the
> domains.

Right; that's because the internal management of this work tends to
change and is much less important publicly than the work itself.

Thank you for your comment,

 _ Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs/
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447