Re: Please stop using accesskeys; they prevent access to browser's facilities and cause bewildering unpredictability

Hi Cecil,

I checked in with some of my colleagues. It seems that opinions vary
about whether one should use accesskeys. Some people cite implementation
issues, others cite usability issues, and others site problems with how
they are defined in the specifications.

I have also forwarded your suggestion internally. Thank you,

 -I an

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 16:48 +0100, Cecil Ward wrote:
> Please stop using accesskey attributes in W3C pages.
>
> For example, the use of accesskey="h" in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator-css/ prevents me from
> accessing menus in my web browser Internet Explorer 7 RC1 (same for Internet
> Explorer 6 and Firefox 1.5). In that particular case, you are already using
> <link rel="help"> which has many advantages and none of the nasty downside.
>
> Superior alternatives - I myself am evaluating the use of <link
> rel="bookmark" href="#wherever"> too.
>
> Best,
>
> Cecil Ward. ("cecil@cecilward.com")

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447