Re: Extensions to the XPath Query Language

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 09:33 -0500, Greg Schmidt wrote:

> Hello Ian,
>
> Apart from having Rockwell join the W3C, can you suggest an avenue for
> publication of these ideas, with the intent of placing them in the
> public domain?
> I've discussed this matter with our senior management and the
> preference would be to simply place these ideas in the public domain
> as opposed to becoming a member of the W3C.

Hi Greg,

One way might be to send the ideas to the XQuery Working Group:
 http://www.w3.org/XML/Query/#discussion

The XQuery WG may not be able to do anything with them today as it
is operating under its charter:
 http://www.w3.org/2003/09/xmlap/xml-query-wg-charter.html

However, there are public mailing list archives for the group and
thus your message would be a dated record of communicating your ideas
to the group.

Hope that helps.

Meanwhile, would it be possible for one of my colleagues to chat
with you or your management about W3C Membership? I think it would be
a valuable exchange for us and possibly for you as well. Thank you,

 - Ian

> "Ian B. Jacobs"
> <ij@w3.org>
>
> 01/13/2006 10:58 PM
>

>         To:        Greg
> Schmidt
> <gschmidt@ra.rockwell.com>
>         cc:
>  Karen Myers
> <karen@w3.org>,
> site-comments@w3.org
>  Re: Extensions to the
> XPath Query Language
>

> On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 03:48 +0000, Greg Schmidt wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I work for Rockwell Automation.  Recently, I submitted ideas to our
> > internal Patent/Innovation committee involving extensions to the
> XPath
> > query language.  The suggestion from out committee was to submit
> these
> > ideas on to the W3C for consideration.  Since I would like to do
> that,
> > would you please tell me how I can get started with that.
>
> Hello Greg,
>
> Thank you for writing. The best way to get involved in the development
> of a W3C standard is for your organization to join W3C, and then for
> you
> to participate directly in the XQuery Working Group. Please contact me
> (or Karen Myers <karen@w3.org>) if you would like to discuss that
> possibility.
>
> _ Ian
> --
> Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
> Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447
>
> << Attachment clipped: signature.asc (196 bytes ) >>

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447