Re: [Moderator Action] 301 Redirect Standard

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 12:14 +0000, contact@remaininghealthy.net wrote:
> Hello W3C,
>
> I was hoping to get an answer on what/if any standard there is for
> redirecting webpages or websites.  I would think the 301 redirct would
> be the standard for a premanetly redirected site.  Does the W3C have
> an official stance?  Thank you for you time.

I do not believe we have an official stance other than "follow the
standards". I suspect (but don't have a definitive answer) that
depending on the situation, HTTP redirects are appropriate, while in
others operating at the DNS level might be appropriate.

Have you looked for relevant RFCs or IANA resources about this?

 - Ian

> James Smithie
> Webmaster
> http://www.remaininghealthy.net

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447