Re: XHTML (target, XFrames)

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 09:43, John A. Bilicki III wrote:
> Hi Dan...
[...]
> You complained about spam yourself on your contact page,
[...]

Ah; then you have evidently read that when I answer messages such
as yours, I copy them to public archives for for the benefit of others.
 http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/#contact

I think site-comments is a good place for this exchange.
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/site-comments/

>      I'm not sure if you're the correct person to contact, but please hear me out nontheless.
>   However W3's site absolutely lacks any English translations I can't link who I should
>  contact about XHTML

The XHTML page (under "W3C A to Z" on our homepage http://www.w3.org/)
says, right at the bottom...

"Contacts
      * 石川 雅康 (ISHIKAWA Masayasu) is the HTML Activity Lead and the Team
        Contact for the HTML Working Group"
  -- http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/

> ...plus forums on W3 apparently are anything but.

I'm not sure what you mean by that; the "forums" link atop the
HTML/XHTML page describes a variety of mailing lists and newsgroups
that we think are helpful.
  http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/#forums

>      I have a simple XHTML question, what is the XHTML strict target alternative?
>   I betcha 10 bucks there is none.

I believe there's an analog in development...

" XFrames
XFrames is an XML application for composing documents together,
replacing HTML Frames. XFrames is not a part of XHTML per se, that
allows similar functionality to HTML Frames, with fewer usability
problems, principally by making the content of the frameset visible in
its URI."
 -> http://www.w3.org/TR/xframes

>   I understand the need to have XHTML as a purely noun like language and leaving adjective
>  natured aspects to things such as CSS.  I utterly agree but have not found any answers on the web...
>
>      Any person or organization that sets standards should be able to issue examples of correctly
>  functioning code for the rest of us to follow suite.  Learning is merely the detection of patterns,
>  yet there are no examples AT ALL of patterns on W3's site.

It's not much, but perhaps you would find the small lists
of XHTML-related tutorials useful
  http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/#tutorials

>   It should not take a non-official
> site to translate standards with only half the understandingset by w3 and maybe a third supported
>  by say IE.

I'm sure you can find a variety of such sites with your favorite search
engine.

>      Creative freedom hardly exists due to browser issues...  Not that W3 is alone...Apache's
> site is horendous as they don't even reference half the codes in the Apache access logs!
> You complained about spam yourself on your contact page, well it's responsable persons such as
> myself who have a clearcut understanding how stopping spam permantly could be achieved but the
> sites that set standards give us no examples of those standards.
>
>      I was critical in an email to Google two weeks ago and my rank sank to page 14 in their
> quiet response in regards to the junk results for one of my search terms.  I hope that unlike
> Google this letter is percieved more as a letter from an allie then as someone who has nothing
> better to do.
>
>      This letter is merely a question about target.  The WWW was supposed to be an educational
> resource but now has turned in to the dark shady marketing landscape of spam and other issues
> that plague most computers.

The web is a reflection of the people that use it. It can be used for
education or for marketing. Or both.

>   I think W3 is neccesary but more of an obsticle to our goals then anything else.
>
>      What is critical to W3's survival is the ability to directly aid those of us on
> a mass scale.  This can't be done via e-mail as I'm sure you have people constantly bugging
> you simple things like..what should I use other then a font tag? Span obviously but questions
> followed by more answers ultimatly lead back to more questions pitting one in an stand still march.
>
>       It's hard for me to sum everything up in either a question or a statement.  Should I
> ask where I could get examples directly from W3?  Should I merely randomly bug you for code?

To date, the focus of W3C has been on development of technologies.
If you want to influence the development of technology, W3C is the
place to direct your efforts.

But education and training is often a much larger undertaking. We
do some here and there (most noteably in the area of accessiblity
http://www.w3.org/WAI/) but I can't recommend W3C as the first place
you should go for your education and training needs. You might
try your local bookstore, user group, search engine, etc.