Re: Child Protection on the web.

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 11:36, Elijah Marshall wrote:
> For over 3 years now I have been wondering why the community that manages
> the web domain extentions has not enforced the use of .xxx | .sex | .adu for
> all pornographic sites that are out on the web.
>
> Please explain to me how we may be able to get these sites converted over to
> an extention such as those listed above. This would make filtration of these
> types of sites very efficient and would protect our children from viewing
> this type of content.
>
> Elijah D.J. Marshall

Hello,

You may wish to direct your question to ICANN, as W3C does
not manage the domain name registry.

While I have not researched the question, one answer may
be that the expectation was not that people managing
adult sites would be required to change domain names, but
that people who wanted more obvious domain names could
have them.

In short: that such sites would be easier to find, but
not necessarily easier to filter.

But this is my entirely uninformed guess. Please contact
ICANN if you have further questions.

Thank you,

 _ Ian