From: Susan Lesch [mailto:lesch@w3.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 10:58 PM
To: Sara Callahan-Santo; 'site-comments@w3.org'
Cc: Erin Mitchell; Lance Faulkner
Subject: Re: Question regarding W3.org standard

Sara Callahan-Santo wrote:

>I have seen the term 'web site' and 'website' and 'web-site' used
>interchangeably in the industry and on your w3.org site.

W3C uses US English and the Chicago Manual of Style. They say "Web
site" for formal writing and that "website" is fine for informal and
friendly writing. I believe that in the UK "website" is one word and
preferred, per the Oxford dictionaries.

(see the section on Internet and Web)
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/cmosfaq/cmosfaq.html

Hope this helps,