[closed] Re: Mail Archives vs. Outlook

Hello Xan,

At Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:12:58 -0700,
Susan Lesch wrote:
> [forwarding to the W3C Systems Team]
>
> At 12:09 -0400 10/13/03, Xan Gregg wrote:
> >There seems to be an incompatibility between the W3C mail list
> >archives and MS Outlook 2002/2003.  Others have noted it, and I
> >expounded on the problem some a month ago [1].  I've been told that
> >the Outlook 2002 messages do have the correct soft line breaks when
> >they leave the corporate mail gateway, so I'm not so sure that is
> >the problem.
> >This is becoming a bigger and bigger problem for W3C communications.
> >Can someone figure out that the problem really is?  Something in
> >Outlook 2002/2003 output?  Or at W3C mail receiver?  Or at an
> >intermediate server?  Is there a better place to ask this question?

"soft line break" means "a non-significant line break in the encoded
text (RFC2045)" of quoted-printable encoding. So our archive system
removed them and combined lines.

To solve problem, could you please check the value of "Automatically
wrap text"? It should be smaller than 76 (70 is safe for deep
quotation), or should be enough large (100, for example) and should be
line-broken manually within 76 characters.

> >Thanks,
> >xan
> >
> >[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/site-comments/2003Sep/0047.html
>

> --