png pics

msm-consulting wrote:

>I plan to use png grafics in my new webcatalog
><http://www.hotspot24.de>http://www.hotspot24.de

A good choice for suitable content. (Photographs, for example, are
more suited to JPEG compression).

>but i heard that
>netscape will not accept these grafic format

The current version of Netscape is 7.1. The first version of netscape
to understand PNG graphics was 4.04, released in the summer of 1997.
http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/4.0/relnotes/unix-4.04.html

Possibly you got the impression that PNG is not supported in netscape
from this article on the history of PNG:
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pnghist.html
please note that this historical article was written in January 1997.
Things have moved on in the intervening 6 years ;-)

>and i'm not sure if IE  will do this either ???

Yes, IE supports PNG on both the Windows and Mac versions of IE.

>are there any news when png will be approved webstandard and be used
>like jpg and gif ?

1 October 1996 was when PNG became an approved Web standard.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-png

>thanks for your help !

No problem.

--