Re: Quick Goldfarb Question

[+cc site-comments, with permission].

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 08:16, Bob Kaehms wrote:
> Dan,
> In the history of the web, page, http://www.w3.org/History.html, there
> was mention of Engelbart and Nelson, but no
> mention of Goldfarb.  I'm giving a short talk today on XML, and am
> wondering why the omission?

Hmm... good question. I think TimBL goes into the history
of how SGML came to play a role in the Web in his WtW book,
but I don't think Tim knew much about Goldfarb when
he developed the Web. (But then... I think he
learned about Nelson's work later too... hmmm...)

One history of the events is given in:

  The Evolution of Web Documents: The Ascent of XML
  Dan Connolly, Rohit Khare, Adam Rifkin
  http://www.xml.com/pub/a/w3j/s3.connolly.html

but even that doesn't say much about Goldfarb's role,
except implictly, by way of describing IBM's GML
stuff (which, I gather, Goldfarb was involved in).

My first direct interaction with Goldfarb was a phone
call from him thanking me for setting up the
HTML validation service (in ~1994, when I was
at HaL in Austin). We came to realize we
had a lot in common... music, a culture
of open exchange, ... .

My original exposure to SGML came primary thru
comp.text.sgml folk like Erik Naggum,
and James Clark's code.

I'll have to think about how Goldfarb's role should
be integrated into the web history page.

Any ideas you have are welcome.