Re: xhtml spec pages need a syntax correction

Lois Wakeman wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> This is what I got today on the xhtml strict/transitional dtd pages in IE5,
> e.g. at http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
> - thought you'd like to fix this?
>
> The XML page cannot be displayed
> Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then
> click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Mimasa Ishikawa reports:

 "This is not a bug of the spec, but a problem of IE.  IE incorrectly
  tries to "sniff" media type regardless of the information provided
  by the Content-Type HTTP response header, and it incorrectly tries
  to parse DTD as if it is an XML instance.  You know, DTD syntax
  is not the same as XML instances, that's why IE failed."

Thanks Mimasa!

- Ian

> ----
>
> Cannot have a DTD declaration outside of a DTD. Line 26, Position 12
>
> <!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Lois Wakeman

> http://lois.co.uk
> http://siteusability.com

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447