Re: Proposing an entity

Julizhang@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Madam/Sir:
>
> Could you tell me which organization I must contact to propose an entity?
> What I want to propose is the superscript 4.  Now the entity for this symbol
> is ⁴.  But it does no display on many browsers.
>
> I am proposing it because it is frequently used on the phonetic writing
> system for Chinese.  Chinese is a  tone language.  It has 4 tones.  Placing a
> superscript after letter spellings as tone indicator is convenient.  But
> currently there are only sup1, sup2, sup3, but not sup4.  On the web page,
> superscripts can be achieved with the <sup></sup> tags.  But the tags do not
> work on other situations, such as in emails and BBS.
>
> I propose to make sup4 an entity.  It will help a quarter of the world
> population on the Internet, word processing and other applications.  Thanks
> for your help.

Hello,

Unless I'm mistaken (which is possible as I am not an
internationalization expert), W3C has an entire Recommendation
to meet your needs. It's called Ruby Annotation [1] and was
published in May 2001.

For more information about Ruby, refer to the Ruby home page.
(I don't information on that page about implementations of
Ruby.)

Let me know if this answers your request. Thank you,

  - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/

[2] http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTML-ruby
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447