Re: site usability

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001, Lorraine Johnson wrote:
> I'm trying to sort out the similarities and differences between cHTML, HDML,
> WML, and XHTML Basic.  I know that cHTML and HDML are not W3C
> Recommendations, but you *do* have descriptive documents on your site.
> Every time I want to check a point, though, I have to go through a
> convoluted process of finding the papers again.  (Yes, I've bookmarked them,
> but sometimes what I remember reading is in a related page.)  I expect to
> find links under HTML or Mobile, but no luck.

	Typing HDML in our search box in our home page gives me this
page:
	http://search.w3.org/Public/cgi-bin/query?mss=simple&pg=q&what=web&filter=w3c&fmt=.&q=HDML

with links to:
	http://www.w3.org/Submission/1997/5/
	http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-Submission-HDML.html
and 	http://www.w3.org/Submission/1997/5/Comment.html

	Typing compactHTML (aka cHTML) in the same search box:
	http://search.w3.org/Public/cgi-bin/query?mss=simple&pg=q&what=web&filter=w3c&fmt=.&q=compactHTML

with link to http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-compactHTML-19980209/

By the way, knowing that cHTML is related to XHTML basic, I can find
this link at http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/#a_refs the references for
XHTML Basic.

> Just because a paper isn't a Recommendation, doesn't mean that people don't
> want to access it.  The whole point of the Web is to link related resources
> for clear and easy access.  It would be great if the main categories (your
> left-hand list) could link to all related resources (even if they're not
> approved).  If not that, then at least some kind of site map which lists the
> available papers.

	We have a list of all our published technical reports available
at:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/

As you may see, this list is already very long and it wouldn't make
sense to display all these references on our home page.

> Considering that accessibility is a strong point with the W3C, it's very
> frustrating to find your site so difficult to navigate.

	We are always looking for making our site better: the task is
really not easy as our site is really big, but any advices are very
welcome!

Best regards,

Dom
W3C's Webmaster at MIT